Sunday, August 20, 2006

Back From the Brink

As I said in the last posting, I'm gonna go solo for awhile (although Sherry will be pitching in as well...),erstwhile my compadres are off doing their respective things....

The topic...back from the brink of unpopularity.

Charlie Tee's comments:
It's hard to categorize the Rolling Stones here because they haven't actually gone out of vogue, or out of people's conscientiousness.
There are alot of people in the music industry who seem to be here one day and gone the next, and I've often wondered how or why that is.
I enjoy loads of different kinds of music, and I'm puzzled as to how we choose the people that we've chosen to be our favorites.
How did Elvis get this popular ? How did the Moonwalk propel Michael Jackson so far in the industry? How come Dizzy Gillespie wasn't a superstar, or other people in jazz for that matter.
I don't believe in my heart that just because we're Black (African American) that we can't or couldn't, in some cases, achieve mainstream popularity.
I felt so saddened when the great singer Luther Vandross died, but he seems to be one of those people who are back from the brink of death. I'm hearing his music all over the airwaves these days...it's either a blessing or a strange curse.

Sherry's comments:
I'm not sure what brings people back into popularity or what it is that makes them fade for a time and then, resurface bigger than ever. Some people I think come back because of nostalgia. People want to relive their youth and music is a big part of most of our coming of age. some people never really go away but newer and different acts come to the fore. Some, like Tina Turner come back bigger and stronger.some people grab our attentions with the newness of it or a fresh sound put to old standards. some, took standards but because the audience they were geared toward had never experienced them, they made it big using classic sounds albeit new to their fans. a few that come to mind are the stones and the beatles, both groups were influenced by black artists yet put their stamp on it and offered it to a different audience. they at least, had the honesty to give credit were credit was most certainly due. elvis, well, even his manager and mentor admitted that he was looking for a white boy that could sing like a black man and found Elvis. Elvis wasn't exactly welcomed with opened arms by the white adults as most know, but he drove the little girls crazy and still drives middle aged ones into fits today PLUS the nostalgia kicks in. tho I must admit, I never really cared for him EXCEPT for one love song that makes me think warm and fuzzy thoughts!I do not know why most jazz greats are mostly only recognized and given their due by other musicians. perhaps it is because jazz is complex. It has patterns to it that force one to almost think about the music as a mathematical equation.me, I love all sorts of music, but I'm a big, blues fan. I'm so happy that there's been a resurgence in it. It makes it much easier to find to buy and the blues festivals are bringing some great acts to more and more cities. there is even a station here in pittsburgh, WYEP, that plays blues all Saturday night.sad , truly sad, that so very many supremely talented musicians not only struggled to just eke out a living only because they were black but had to endure humiliation and then, bite their collective tongues as their talent was stolen and their contributions ignored. they watched as the theft of their passion made the thieves rich. i think one of the factors in fame is fate, timing, luck, call it what you will. That is something beyond anyone's control, but as anyone that is in the arts comes to realize, you had better be in it for the love of it, the NEED of it, because few achieve fame, few even make a good living at it, but if it is your passion then it is truly a gift to yourself and if there are those you come across that refuse the gift you offer because of prejudices, then they are the pooer for it and are to be pitied even as they anger you. singers, musicians, painters, actors, dancers and even odd little poets like me, we do it cuse (to paraphrase the lyrics of an old song) "it's in us and it's gotta come out!" It's an honest question that Charlie's posed, but it's one with many answers. I'll bet every one of you reading right now can come up with a few of your own.

Charlie added...
I think that obviously there are many in music that never recieved the ovations and accollades that they deserved, but to sum up the "resurgence" of some of the forerunners of music, the unsung heroes, so to speak, one would have to realize that if it is out there in the universe, at some point it has to surface. What is in the dark eventually comes to the light...so as with popularity.
Also, there are a great deal of other factors that come into play with popularity. How the person involved deals with people around them, plus adding their God given talent, plus having people believe in them, and talking them up, contributes to making someone popular, and oftenttimes the person(s) involved don't take time to make themselves accessible to their fans, thereby cutting off a key resource. A simple thank you to the crowd that cheers you on is more helpful than signing a hundred autographs.

9 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger LSqrd said...

you said: I do not know why most jazz greats are mostly only recognized and given their due by other musicians. perhaps it is because jazz is complex.

I think you're largely right Sherry. Popular music is not generally challenging, mostly "Silly Love Songs" that act as the backdrop to our lives. I think of the scene in the movie Amadeus, when Mozart is told his opera has "too many notes"... The music industry caters to the (paying) customers, and that means "give 'em what they want". It's not a system that encourages creativity. Radio, in particular, is a largely bland place, outside of the community type stations.

It took me a long long time to realize that I (we?) don't listen to music like most people do... You ever comment on a song to a stranger?? Something like, "Wow, this song has a great bass line", or "I'm not sure I like the backing vocals on this", or even "This reminds me of the Tubes' Mondo Bondage"... They'll look at you as if you had two noses.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

hi, yes, you are right, few people really discuss music unless it is their field. i'm as guilty as anyone about that, most times.
i heard something in passing today while i was listening to tony norman and maria and dave the 2 political junkies. dave mentioned how the drummer stuttered the drum beat on "my generation" to match the stutter in the lyrics. now, i've listened to that song countless times over the years. it is my generation, but never noticed it. dave was right. NOW i hear it, but i might never have if he hadn't clued me in.
i think life has become so fragmented and so rushed that the small joys and interesting details escape us. thanks for stopping by and commenting. you are very welcomed to write as much as you like on this topic or any other we might post. ; )

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger LSqrd said...

Ah yeah, Keith Moon rocked...... I love to listen to old Who albums and just focus on the drumming... Then again, with the bass.... then again (but you get the point).

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

yeah, i do get the point. there are certian songs where i seem to zero in on one thing, a guitar or what have you. it's not that it stands out more than the rest. it blends into the music, but it stands out in my listening. not sure why that is. sometimes it's almost like i can "see" the music, tho i am not skilled in anything much to do with anything musical. it's more like a movement in the air, a ripple or a wave. but then again,i am not well versed in musical terminology. seeing ripples, i am odd, ha!
i would love to be able to play something, drums, guitar anything, or sing, but...
tho i do not know what i would do if i couldn't write and so, i am happy in that.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Charlie Tee said...

Both of you are right...
For the most part, even musicians don't necessarily talk about music per se, but for me it's so much a part of my life that I could go for hours on end talking about it.
I've been wathcing Rock Star Super Nova on TV, and I got very angry the other evening because one of the guys in the band told one of the contestants that he felt that in order to be more effective on stage that he should break a guitar like Pete Townsend of the Who, or Hendrix.That absolutely fried me because the real reason that those guys did those things is that the instruments that they used were inferior, and could not hold the tuning.
I met met Pete once and he told me that I was one of the few people who ever got that completely correct about him.
The thing about music in reality, is that people listen to it for what it suggests to their minds.
Like sex to some degree, one doesn't go in with the preconceived notion that "I'm going to make love to her." When you meet the her or him, there are things about them that attract you, then after they get your vibe from there it's mostly a silent lusting, then if you're lucky, you get to meet and make love.From there it's a toss up, but most people get really silent after being with their partners...well, so it is with music.
I think that music to some degree falls out of favor with people in a sense, and then they rediscover it based on need and timing.
It's rare to have person like me, I eat,sleep,and drink it.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

hi charlie, that i think, is because you have a real passion for it. that's blessing and a curse. it's like that with me with my words.it can really bring great highs and terrible lows. i have trouble keeping my self worth from getting tangled up with my writings. it doesn't help matters in that, from the discussions i've had over the years with other poets and such, that we do(it's sterotypical sounding but true)tend to be a group with more than our share of scars, seen and unseen. we truly rejoice over the smallest of vindications of our talents but we beat ourselves up in each rejection or have had to learn how to deal with them, but still, there is that self worth issue.
lucky,i suppose are the people that can take out their love of something and then put it back on the shelf. then again, maybe not. i wonder if they can do that with everything else that comes into their day?
i can with some things, only because i learned how to shut some things down, but love, love in any form of anything, is rare and i think a blessing and so when it comes to me, when a passion finds me or i find it, well, i'll take it, and i'll learn to deal with it.
things may fall in and out of fashion, with me tho, i just add more to my emotional clothes closet! ; )

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger LSqrd said...

...in order to be more effective on stage that he should break a guitar like Pete Townsend of the Who, or Hendrix.

That's kind of bogus. Regardless of anything else, it's been done, ya know. Unless you're shooting for some sort of "homage"... well, it's just copying.

The thing about music in reality, is that people listen to it for what it suggests to their minds. Like sex to some degree,
Some music just strikes at the gut level, there's an almost overpowering attraction, sometimes you can't even figure out why. I think your "courting" analogy is on the mark...

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. "

Aldous Huxley


pretty much, music lets us feel things that sometimes we can't or won't, put into words.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Philip. said...

Hi,

I have just discovered your blog and must say how good it is. I'll certainly be back to visit.

If you get a chance, please feel free to say hello on mine, I 'd love to hear from you.

Philip
www.disabled-help.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger